Thursday, March 5, 2009

Cheesy Stuff. . .

Saying It

We were
So afraid
To say it
Three words
They mean
So much
So little
It took forever
To say it together
But I remember now
The times we said it
Before

Late,
Night time
My mind drifting
I say
“I love you”
The phone echoes,
I hear my own words
And before he can respond
I say it back, again
“I love you too”
The morning,
Not sure,
Did I dream it?

One night later
He said it back
So quiet
So beautiful
He mumbled
I made him repeat
“I wuv you”
in a childs voice
Caught off guard,
I echoed, I awed
“I wuv you too”
It was too beautiful
Too cute
In the end, embarrassed

We were play fighting
I pouted
You lay down,
Pull me with you
You just said,
A matter of fact
“You love me”
and within a second
before I thought
it through
I said “I do”

We pulled back,
Shocked amazing,
The way it just glided
From our mouths
No we can’t
I thought,
Too soon
Too soon

“What?” he asked
“nothing” I shook my head
shook it off,
we both did
it was too much
too soon

Everyone else told us we
Too young
To fall in love
Too young
To feel those things
But those first times
We said “I love you”
It wasn’t out of duty
Or a fantasy
Or because
We just wanted to say it

It was just words
That slipped out
Between our lips
Before our heads could stop us.

__________________________________

Thumbsuckers

We were,
So silly, so cheesy,
The couple everyone looked at,
And loathed.

Luckily, we kept some things private
Like when you confided in me,
You used to be a thumb sucker
And you begged me please to try again

And us, on a high from love,
Would try
Take turns
Just to be cute

Just to be silly
It meant the world to me.

Is that true love?
When you’re willing to suck his thumb,
Just because?

No comments:

Post a Comment